Fifty Fabulous Things

My goal is to accomplish everything on my Fifty Fabulous Feats list by March 24, 2013. To see what fabulous things I will be doing over the next two years see my first blog entry, The Fabulous List, posted on December 11, 2010.

Monday, December 13, 2010

Learn Everything I Can About Peru



I would like to visit Peru. I don't think I'll be able to make it in my 50th year, but I hope I can in the not too distant future.  Why Peru?  It isn't because I have any great interest in the Incas or ancient civilizations, nor do I have a spiritual quest in mind, although that is probably a good idea. No, I don't particularly want to have an adventure climbing the Andes and the music is okay, but you can hear it at any folk fair and a lot of shopping malls.  I really want to visit Peru to see the llamas. Peru is the Land of Llamas.


As long as I'm there I may as well do the rest - visit Machu Picchu, listen to music in the Andes while I'm climbing the peaks in search of my spirit.  In preparation I would like to do some reading.  I've reserved a handful of books from the local inter-library system, but they don't offer anything recently published.  There are a few websites that have recommendations:

Conquest of the Incas by John Hemming
The Inca Empire and Its Andean Origins by Craig Morris
The Peru Reader: History, Culture, Politics edited by Orin Starn
Death in the Andes by Mario Vargas Llosa
War by Candlelight by Daniel Alarcon
One River by Wade Davis

Other suggestions? 

No comments:

Post a Comment